Power2inspire’s Inclusive Kilometre

There is an old saying that says, “if you want to know a man, walk a mile in his shoes.”

Here at Power2inspire we believe that bringing people together through sport helps them understand and respect differences. We are not all built the same, and yet we are all alike. The idea of an “Inclusive Kilometre” started life as part of  John’s Road2Rio challenge. John set out to participate in 34 Olympic and Paralympic sports before the end of the 2016 Games in Rio. We established that it was 9330 Kilometres from Cambridge to Rio. So the aim was to get over 9330 participants – one for each kilometre on the Road2Rio – to participate in what we called the “Inclusive Kilometre”.

line  ik_5

line

lineThis challenged all participants to complete 1,000m in an inclusive way; it could include running 1k with a blindfold and a guide, wheeling 1k, walking the distance with a disabled partner, or even swimming the whole way! The aim of the event was to develop empathy and understanding amongst participants of what it means to compete with a disability. The concept of an “Inclusive Kilometre” caught on and so we adopted it as a regular way to raise funds and awareness of the charity.

line  linelineik_6

line
How the “Inclusive Kilometre” works.
1. You sign up to host an Inclusive Kilometre. 2. P2i sends you your personalised IK pack. This includes a video from John, posters, leaflets and sponsorship forms. 3. You hold your event. Depending on location, it is sometimes possible that John or a member of staff from the charity will attend your event. In any case we will support you and promote through social media.   lineHow the “Sponsorship” works. 4. You encourage participants to raise a minimum of £2.00 to take part. 5. You collect the completed sponsorship forms and money. 6. As a Thank You for supporting us we suggest you keep 25% of the collection for your school, community or organisation. The remaining 75% you send to Power2inspire together with the completed sponsorship forms. It’s that simple. line Using the Sponsorship to fund a PowerHouse Games. 7. The cost of a PowerHouse games begins at £500. Hosting an Inclusive Kilometre is an ideal way of funding a dedicated PHG event. 8. Providing that you raise a minimum of £500 to cover the cost of the games, any remaining monies will be divided as standard, i.e you keep 25% of the remaining collection for your school, community or organisation. The remaining 75% you send to Power2inspire together with the completed sponsorship forms.

linelineik_7                                                         line If you are interested in hosting an Inclusive Kilometre at your school, community centre or place of business, please contact our programme coordinator Katie Atkin at:  Katie.atkin@power2inspire.org.uk